Pre-Orientation To-Do List
Welcome and congratulations on your acceptance to Valdosta State University!
You are among a special group who we’ve chosen to attend VSU. We hope you are as excited to be here as we are to have you.
Orientation is designed to help students transition into college and assist family members in understanding their student’s experience during this exciting time. The information below will help prepare you for Orientation so that you can accomplish everything you need to do on that day and feel ready to begin your journey as part of the Blazer Nation.
Pre-orientation to-do list:
*Bring photo identification with you to your orientation session. You will use this to verify your identity at check-in. Acceptable forms of photo ID: Driver's License, Military ID, Passport, and High School ID (if it has a photo of you on it).
- Locate and memorize your VSU ID #. Trust, us you'll need that number for everything!
- Register for an orientation session: Located in your Banner account - Select New Student Portal after logging in. (Payment for session fees can be made in the same area of your banner account that you used to register for the orientation session).
- Once you have signed up for your orientation session, fill out the Pre-Enrollment Survey.
- Log into MyVSU. You will need to access this the day of your orientation session. Your VSU email address is required for this login. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not have your VSU email address.
- Start learning everything you need to know. Our orientation module will introduce you to several important topics that will be discussed during orientation.
- If you have taken Dual Enrollment (Move on When Ready), AP (Advanced Placement), IB (International Baccalaureate), AICE (Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education) courses:
While you are asked about these on the Pre-Enrollment survey, we recommend that you bring a list of these credits with you to Orientation. We want to make sure that you do not enroll in duplicate courses. Also, if you have not done so already, you will need to send official transcripts to VSU to receive credits for the courses/exams above --- your high school transcript does not grant credit for these credits. Submit your transcripts/scores electronically to the Office of Admissions ahead of your orientation session. Contact email@example.com if you have questions.
- Locate your VSU Math Placement level in Banner: (Sign into Banner then click "Student Records", then "Student Information"). Your math placement will indicate which math course is recommended as the first course for you to take. If you are not satisfied with your placement level and want to try to improve it, you may take the Math Placement Exam (ALEKS) online via Banner. Complete at least one week prior to your orientation session.
- Determine your VSU Foreign Language Placement: All students are highly encouraged to take the WebCAPE placement exam, which recommends the appropriate language level. The exam is currently available for French, German, Russian, and Spanish. The WebCAPE is offered online and may be taken via any computer with an Internet connection. The password is blazers1. Print and bring your results to your orientation session.
- Complete the FAFSA: Stay in contact with the Office of Financial Aid as needed until the form has been submitted.