Service in the Senate
Student Government Senators are tasked with representing a diverse Blazer Nation of over 11,000 Blazers. As an organization, Senators work in tandem with the SGA Executive Branch to ensure #VState students feel seen, heard and valued.
The senate has the unique responsibility of writing legislation expressing the official position of the student body. Senators also have the opportunity to weigh in on important decisions affecting students. The SGA Senate is also the most informed group of students on campus as SGA receives consistent updates from all university stakeholders.
Within the organization, Senators are able to specialize in different areas in which they are passionate through service on focused committees.
These committees currently include:
- Academic Affairs: focused on academic policies and initiatives.
- Student Success: focused on services like financial aid and advising.
- Student Affairs: focused on student experience like student life, the rec center, and the student health center
- Auxiliary Services: focused on campus dining and parking.
- Campus Engagement: focused on the success of SGA outreach and student engagement.
- Communication: focused on marketing efforts of SGA through social media, graphics, and other means.
- Finance: focused on managing the Blazer allocation account
- Senators can also find leadership roles within the Senate through both appointment and election. Many SGA Senators also serve alongside faculty and staff on various University Committees
- 2.5 Cumulative GPA
- Full Time Enrollment
- Good Standing with the Office of Student Conduct
- Attendance at weekly SGA Meetings.
- Five monthly service hours (on average opportunity for 20 hours each month. Opportunities for earning hours are largely flexible)