Payments on Student Accounts by Third Parties
If an approved company or organization will be responsible for paying all or part of a student’s term charges, this is called a Third Party Billing arrangement. Valdosta State University requires a “Billing Authorization” from the company or organization in order to set up a Third Party Contract. The Billing Authorization must include:
- An itemized list of charges the third party desires to pay. If there is a maximum amount the third party will pay for any/all of these charges it must be listed, also.
- The student’s full name and student identification number
- An itemized list of all financial aid that must be applied to the student’s term charges prior to billing the third party. (For example, SEOG Grant, Pell Grant, Hope Scholarship, Stafford Loan, etc.)
- Signature of an official authorized to obligate payment of the organization
- The name, billing address, email address, and telephone number of the contact person at the company/organization that is responsible for payment
- Special invoicing requirements (if any) requested by the third party
The Billing Authorization must be received by the Third Party Accountant in the VSU Bursary by the fee payment deadline. The Authorization may be faxed to (229) 259-2051 or emailed to ensure it arrives by the fee payment deadline; however, an original must follow in the mail. Authorizations should be mailed to the address listed below:
Third Party Accountant
VSU Student Financial Services - Bursary
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Important Points to Remember:
- The student is responsible for payment of all charges the third party declines to pay.
- A new Billing Authorization must be submitted each semester, unless otherwise stated on the Billing Authorization.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the Billing Authorization is received before the fee payment deadline.
- If the third party would like to provide funds for books or supplies which are not charged to the Student Account*, a separate Billing Authorization must be addressed to the Valdosta State University Bookstore, Follett Corporation. The same criteria as listed above is required on the Billing Authorization to the bookstore, including the appropriate telephone number and e-mail address for the contact person at the organization responsible for payment. The student must present his or her VSU 1Card or a government issued photo ID when purchasing items from the bookstore using their Billing Authorization.
- Upon receipt of the completed Billing Authorization, the Student Account will be updated to reflect the pending payment amount. If a balance remains on the Student Account, the student must pay this balance by the fee payment deadline.
- An itemized invoice will be mailed or e-mailed to the third party billing address listed on the Billing Authorization, according to the instructions provided. Payment is due in full immediately upon receipt of the invoice.
- Payment to Valdosta State University cannot be contingent upon grades or completion of courses.
- Checks should be made payable to Valdosta State University. Separate payment should be sent to the Valdosta State University Bookstore, Follett Corporation.
*Please note: as of Fall 2019, select courses have elected to participate in the new VSU Day1 Textbook Savings Program which charges mandatory electronic course materials directly to the Student Account. If the third party wishes to pay for these charges, it should be noted on the list of itemized charges the third party desires to pay.
Examples of Third Party Companies/Organizations:
- Prepaid College Plans (Instructions for using Florida Prepaid at VSU)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or Vocational Rehab (chapter 31)
- Tuition Assistance (TA) for U.S. military
If you have any questions, please email Jordan Thompson or call the University Bursary at 229-333-5725 or 1-800-618-1878 (option 6).