The Wymodausis Collection
Call Number MS-6
Name: The Wymodausis Collection: Medora Field Perkerson Letters and Willie Pearl Daivs' Journals
Size: 1 box, 1 notebook of transcripts
The Wymodausis Club was born in June 1900. The club was started as a literary club and grew into a civic club over time. Mrs. Edward Hudnall, who had been a member of a literary club in Jacksonville, FL, along with Mrs. Mattie Stevens launched the club with great interest. The club met twice a month in the homes of its members. Over time, the membership grew to such a number that they needed a more permanent home. United with the D.A.R. and the U.D.C, they worked towards constructing a home of their own. Completed in September of 1925, the Womans Building, situated next to Brookwood Park (Drexel Park), is a beautiful memorial to the work of those women. Wymodausis achievements constitute a part of the history of Valdosta, GA. Every movement for community improvement, for humanitarian appeal, for intellectual development has been made a part of the Wymodausis effort. Wymodausis became a member of the Georgia Federation of Womans Clubs in 1901 and a member of the National Federation of Womans Clubs in 1916. (The First Fifty Years of Wymodausis, Jon Schroer, 1950, www.vjwc.org )
Medora Field Perkerson was born, near Lindale, GA, in 1892. She was a write who, early on, did some free-lance work and wrote for the Rome, GA Herald-Tribune. Through a friend, she obtained a position with the Atlanta Journal and Constitution Magazine as an assistant to the Sunday Magazine editor. Two years later, she married her boss, Angus Perkerson. During her time at the Journal, she worked next to Margaret Mitchell, who eventually helped to get her first book published. Who Killed Aunt Maggie was Mrs. Perkersons first mystery novel, published in 1939 by Macmillan. She also wrote White Columns in Georgia, a non-fiction, historical work. She was the president of the Georgia chapter of the National League of American Pen Women and of the Atlanta Womans Press Club. She served as president of the board of the Atlanta Child Welfare Association. Mrs. Perkerson was the guest speaker for a small number of Wymodausis meetings.
Miss Willie Pearl Davis was a member of the Wymodausis Club. She was the daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. B. W. Davis of Camilla, GA. She graduated from The Monroe Female College in Forsyth, GA, where she was a member of Phi Mu Fraternity, on June 7, 1900 with a degree in Music. After college, she resided in Valdosta, GA in the home of her brother, Britt W. Davis, Jr. On July 9, 1907, she married Mr. Lloyd Edgar Jones, of Valdosta, GA. (The Atlanta Constitution, 6/8/1900, 2/16/1902, 4/24/1904, 2/18/1906, 2/25/1906, 6/28/1907, 7/14/1907, 6/21/1911)
Scope and Content:
The collection consists of correspondence between Medora Field Perkerson and members of the Wymodausis Club, Mrs. R.J. McClenny and Mrs. Walter Williams. The handwritten journals of Willie Pearl Davis, a member of Wymodausis in the clubs early years, are also included. The original bound programs from the Wymodausis Club and one program from the Womans Society of Christian Service are included. Included also is the transcript of a speech given by R. H. Powell of the Georgia State Womans College before the Convention of Womans Clubs in April of 1923. The correspondence is arranged in files relating to the author of the correspondence and the date on which it was written. The bound programs are arranged in files, grouping consecutive years together. The collection also includes an Elementary Spelling Book and a tribute to Mrs. Coley (sister of Willie Pearl Davis).
Medora Field Perkerson
Willie Pearl Davis
R. H. Powell
Womans Society of Christian Service
Mrs. R. J. McClenny
Mrs. Walter Williams
White Columns In Georgia
Fannie Davis Coley
Rinehart & Co., Inc.
Folder 1- Powell PapersWomans Club Speech The Relation of the State Womans College to the Womans Work of the State
Address before the 11th District Convention of Womans Clubs at Valdosta, GA, April 11, 1923, given by R. H. Powell, President
of the Georgia State Womans College
Folder 2- Wymodausis Club Programs1939 1943. Original bound yearly programs.
Folder 3- Wymodausis Club Programs1948 1956. Original bound yearly programs.
Folder 4- Womans Society of Christian Service1949 1950. Original bound program.
Folder 5- Elementary Spelling BookPublished 1880 by Noah Webster, original edition.
Folder 6- Letter to Mrs. R. J. McClennyOctober 18, 1939. Typed letter from Medora Field Perkerson to Mrs. R. J. McClenny concerning itinerary for visit her with Wymodausis and biographical information requested by the club.
Folder 7- Letters to Mrs. McClennyFebruary 7, February 20, and June 23. 1941. Three typed letters, two with envelopes, from Medora Field Perkerson to Mrs. R.J. McClenny concerning itinerary for her visit with Wymodausis and thanking the club for their kind comments.
Folder 8- Letters to Mrs. McClennyJuly 8 and July 28, 1942. Two handwritten letters from Medora Field Perkerson to Mrs. R. J. McClenny concerning the health of Mrs. Perkerson following surgery and thanking Mrs. McClenny for her gift.
Folder 9- Letter to Mrs. WilliamsOctober 9, 1952. Typed letter, with enclosure of biographical information, from Vivian Wolfert, Publicity Director, of Rinehart & Co., Inc., publishers.
Folder 10- Tribute to Mrs. Coley(undated). Mrs. Fannie Coley, sister of Willie Pearl Davis. Memorial service at the First Presbyterian Church in Valdosta, GA.
Folder 11- White Gables LetterOctober 26-30, 1942. Original thank you letter to Walter and Monet Williams, typed and signed, concerning trip to White Gables in Dupont, GA. Signed by the Bishop and Cabinet of the Methodist Church. Districts listed: Americus, Columbus, Dublin, Macon, Thomasville, Savannah, Valdosta, and Waycross.
Processing Date: May 1, 2007
Author of Finding Aid: Eve Guinn, created in partial fulfillment of the requirements of History 3000, Spring 2007.
The Odum Library is a Federal Depository Library.